Waucoma Bookstore may award one or two scholarships to (a) Hood River County High school senior(s) who plan(s) to attend an institution of higher learning. Applicants must have a passion for writing and reading, demonstrated writing abilities in poetry, fiction and/or non-fiction, and financial need.
- Financial Need
- Demonstrated writing abilities
- Passion for writing
- Two samples of writing must be included. One may be work completed for a school project. The other needs to be a personal essay written expressly for this scholarship. Poetry and prose, both fiction and non-fiction, are welcome.
- List any books you have read outside of assigned school reading.
- Three Essays:
- Short essay #1: Write briefly about a book that has been important to you in your life and explain why.
- Short essay #2: How are writing and reading important in your life now? Do you see literature and/or writing playing a role in your future?
- Short essay #3: Why do you need this scholarship?
- One Confidential Evaluation Form from a teacher with whom you have studied writing or literature.