In cooperation with the Hood River County Education Foundation
Susanna Blake Gabay was born on March 20, 1989 and died on May 6, 2010. In her junior year at HRV, she was diagnosed with clinical depression. She was very proud of being co-Valedictorian of Hood River Valley HS in 2007, persevering despite her struggles. At HRV, she was on the speech and track teams, was active in peace work, volunteered with Big Sisters, was named Biology Student of the Year in 2006, and gained admission to the Clark Honors College at UO with a Presidential Scholarship. Susanna was a courageous, inquisitive spirit, delving deeply into whatever she experienced. This scholarship is created to honor her memory and to recognize students who, like Susanna, have persevered in the face of great difficulties. We wish to encourage and support their dreams. This is a $1000 scholarship.
NOTE: The entire application process can remain confidential if the student so desires by submitting it directly to his/her guidance counselor. Awardees may also opt to receive the scholarship confidentially without the need to attend scholarship night.
- The recipient has been medically diagnosed per DSM5 with some form of mental illness
- The recipient has persevered in spite of the illness as demonstrated by:
- Being in top half of her/his class and
- Demonstrating a passion to further his/her education and improve the world
- The recipient plans enrollment in further education program at a not-for-profit 4 year or community college or a non-profit technical school.
- Essay: Describe your experience with mental illness, how you have persevered in spite of your illness, how you have attempted to improve or support your community, and your future goals (no more than 2 pages, double-spaced)
- Two Confidential Evaluation Forms:
- One letter from a counselor, teacher, or community member who is familiar with your background and can speak to your integrity and perseverance, and
- One letter from a medical professional who can verify that you have a current diagnosis under DSM 5. Disclosure of the exact diagnosis is NOT required.
- Personal Essay (50%)
- Confidential Evaluation Forms (25%)
- Coursework and GPA (transcript) (25%)
- Susanna Blake Gabay financial form (extra credit for need; Requires submission of the FAFSA or ORSAA Student Aid Report)
Note: Financial need will be a consideration only where two or more candidates have very close scores.