In cooperation with the Hood River County Education Foundation
The family and friends of Steve Gates have established a scholarship in his memory in the amount of $1,500 to be awarded annually to one student. Steve was passionate about athletics, education and community service, and brought a sense of humor and humility to all of his endeavors. Steve was heavily involved in the Hood River community; among other things, he helped start the Dynamos Soccer Club, coached the Cooper Spur Alpine Team, founded the JET (Junior Elite Team) standup paddleboard team, participated in competitive tennis, mentored and employed countless youth as owner of Big Winds, served on both the Hood River County School Board and the Planning Commission, and was Mayor of Hood River. Steve loved giving back to his community and would have been honored to present this scholarship to a student who had similar ambitions.
One $1500 Scholarship awarded annually to one student
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Participation in soccer, skiing, tennis, softball, baseball, and/or water sports (SUP, windsurfing, surfing, etc)
- One Confidential Evaluation Form from a teacher, counselor, or coach (If you participate in a non-HRVHS sport, this letter should be from a coach who can vouch for your participation).
- Essay: In 500 words or fewer describe how sports have impacted your life in a positive way, and how you intend to pay it forward and inspire others.
- Years participated in your sport of choice: (15%)
- Community Service and/or Mentorship activities: (25%)
- Confidential Evaluation Form (30%)
- Personal Essay (30%)