The mission of Hood River – Tsuruta Sister City, Inc., is to promote friendship and cultural understanding between the city of Hood River, Oregon, USA and Tsuruta, Aomori, Japan. Hood River – Tsuruta Sister City, Inc. was established in July 1977 by Tsuruta Mayor Kenji Nakano, Hood River Mayor Charles Beardsley and citizen Ray “Chop” Yasui. The primary goal of this partnership was to promote friendship and cultural understanding between residents of Tsuruta and Hood River. Since that time an active exchange program among adults and students has continued to develop. Since its inception, more than 1,752 people have taken part in visits and exchanges in the last 40 years. A strong friendship and cultural understanding between the people of the two towns continues to flourish.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.20 or higher
- Member of Hood River-Tsuruta Sister City
- Hosted Tsuruta students and/or traveled to Tsuruta as part of the local delegation
- Active in Community and or Civic Organization
- Attending a community college or 4-year university/college
- Have a genuine interest in Japanese Culture
- Interested in International Relationships
- Essay: Summarize your sister city experiences as well as your interest in Japan and International Relations (500 words or less). Include a photo from your experience.