PO Box 441 Hood River, OR 97031
24/7 Crisis Line 541.386.6603
Helping Hands Against Violence (HHAV) is a non-profit organization which supports survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking through shelter, advocacy and education (more information at www.helpinghandsoregon.org). Helping Hands scholarship fund is in memory of one of the founders of the organization who passed away in 2015: Millie May. Millie May was a woman who stood firm to her beliefs in justice, equality, advancement of women, and the environment.
Millie was an innovative feminist, bold and compassionate. She threw herself into a cause that didn’t exist yet in the minds of the law, but Millie knew it existed behind the doors of many of our very own neighbors. She took the lead in a movement to provide safety for victims of domestic violence. She was willing to take risks, even for people she didn’t know. In 1978, Helping Hands Against Violence was born, thanks in a big part to Millie May.
The Millie May Memorial Scholarship of $1000 will be presented to a local high school senior who is willing to take risks to make a difference or has been influenced by another person to make a dramatic positive shift in the direction of one’s life.
The scholarship should be used within one year. Payment will be made to the educational institution upon proof of enrollment.
- Must be a graduating senior in high school
- Must be seeking post-secondary education in a community college, four-year college, or technical school
- Essay (address all of the following) – Abuse takes on many shapes and forms (physical, emotional, and/or financial). It happens in families, schools, and among peers:
- Tell us what you know about abuse and how it makes you feel when you see it happening. In the ideal world, what would you do about it?
- Helping Hands Against Violence is a non-profit organization in Hood River. Tell us what you know about the organization and how we make a difference in this community.