Laura Schaefer, HRVHS Class of 2004, loved music and was active in the HRV Music program. Laura participated in Wind Ensemble, Chamber Singers, Madrigals, Jazz Band, and was a founding member of Spectrum. Laura especially enjoyed music tours and musical theater. She went on the music tours of Ireland and Wales, and was in five HRV musicals including: Children of Eden, Les Miserables, and Carousel. To honor Laura’s passion for music, Laura’s brother and sister, with the support of family and many friends in the community, created a memorial scholarship.
The Laura Douglass Schaefer Fund of the Gorge Community Foundation is offering a scholarship of up to $5000 to a Hood River senior who has demonstrated an interest in music and plans to include music in his/her life at college and after. The scholarship may be renewable for up to $5000 for three additional years of college if the recipient provides evidence of successful full-time college enrollment and continuing music study or performance participation. The total possible scholarship would be $20,000 over four years. The committee may decide to give more than one scholarship or divide the scholarship between or among multiple winners. The scholarship must be used within 6 years or it is forfeited.
- Demonstrated interest in music
- Plans to include music in life at college and after
- Two Confidential Evaluation Forms:
- One must be from a teacher of music, instrumental or voice
- One may be from another teacher (music or other) or community member knowledgeable of the applicant’s character.
- Essay: Discuss the role that music has played in your life, your personal goals, the role you hope music will play in your future, and how this scholarship will affect your plans.