The American Legion Auxiliary is a service organization comprised of women who are either a veteran themselves or wives, sisters, daughters, granddaughters, step-daughters or step-granddaughters of veterans. We are offering a $1,000.00 scholarship to a Hood River Valley senior who meets the following criteria.
- Applicant must be the child, grandchild or stepchild of an honorably discharged veteran from a branch of service of the United States of America.
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need
- A document containing the following information:
- Veteran’s name
- Branch of service
- Dates of service
- Your relationship to the Veteran
- Are you a member of the JR ALA or SAL organization?
- Three Essays:
- Essay 1: In 300 words or less, tell us about your community service activities. (Not what you think should be done, but what you have actually done).
- Essay 2: Tell us what Americanism means to you.
- Essay 3: The American Legion Auxiliary is founded on the principles of Justice, Freedom and Democracy. What do those principles mean to you?
The application will be judged by the Past Presidents of the Hood River American Legion Auxiliary Scholarship Committee. Incomplete applications will not be judged. Points will be awarded for neatness of the application, volunteer activities of the student, the depth of thought put into the essay and answers to the Americanism and principles question, spelling, grammar, grades and financial need.